Cookie Disclaimer

We use cookies to help improve your experience on this website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. If you continue browsing this website without changing your cookie settings we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from Thomas Higgins Limited website.

Don't show this cookie disclaimer again

Thomas Higgins Limited Solicitors

Business Debt Collection & Recovery

Accessibility Options (requires CSS and JavaScript):

You are here:

HomeCollection ProcessStage ThreeEnforcing Judgments

Alternative means of enforcing Judgments

We provide additional services that help enforce Judgments when appropriate.

Telephone collections

When it is appropriate, we can provide a telephone collections service where we contact the debtor on your behalf to take payment of the judgment sum, or prompt them in to paying it directly to you.

Attachment of Earnings Order

When a judgment has been secured and if your debtor is in employment (not self-employed) an application can be made to obtain an attachment of earnings order. The order requires the debtor's employer to deduct money from the debtor's salary to pay you until the judgment debt is satisfied.

Statutory Demand

For debts over £750.00 we can make a formal demand to the debtor for the Judgment sum to be paid, and if payment is not made within the legal time limit (currently 21 days) then either a bankruptcy petition can be issued where the debtor is an individual or a winding up petition where the debtor is a limited company.

Three Day Notice of Winding Up

For debts over £750.00 and where the debtor is a limited company we can write to give 3 days formal notice to make payment of the Judgment sum. This letter informs your debtor that a winding up petition will be issued and warns them of the consequences. This can be used an alternative to a Statutory Demand.

Charging Order

We can apply for a charging order on your behalf to place a 'charge' against property which the debtor owns; when the property is sold (provided there is sufficient equity) the charge is repaid from the proceeds.

Order to Obtain Information

An application can be made to require the debtor (or an officer of the debtor if it is a limited company) to attend court for questioning under oath about their finances, assets and income etc. This can be a useful tool to help decide which enforcement method to use.

Return to the Judgment and Enforcement page